Friday 11 January 2013

Re-purposing a Doona Cover

Today I got out my sewing machine and an old donna cover... We need covers for our self inflating camping mattresses.  They are extra wide, so the old covers no longer fit.  So, what better use for an old doona cover?  I simply laid the doona cover out flat then cut 1 metre in from each side, so that I have two pocket-like pieces already stitched along the top, side, and press-studs along the bottom.  Then all I did was to stitch and overlock along the side I had just cut. I tried the covers on our camping mattresses and they fit beautifully.  The only thing I will add is some velcro along the open side so that the covers stay in place when in use. 

These covers are great for summer camping, when it is too hot to sleep inside your sleeping bag.  Simply open out the sleeping bag and use it as a blanket over your mattress.  Much more comfortable when you have a nice cover on the mattress.   Just like being at home really...well, ahh...except for the mosquitoes and lack of ensuite...

1 comment: